Food Establishments

The Environmental Health Protection section is responsible for permitting and inspecting all food establishments within the jurisdiction of the Clay County Public Health Center. Permitted food establishments include restaurants, taverns, grocery stores, convenience stores, schools, hospitals, bakeries, childcare, mobile units, push carts, vending machines and temporary event concessions.

The Clay County Food Code requires annual operating permits, inspections and completion of appropriate training classes for food handlers and food managers.

Food Safety Award Winners 2022

Report a Concern

Community members can submit complaints about food establishments concerning a suspected food illness or other conditions. These must be for establishments in Clay County but not in Kansas City. Food establishments in Kansas City city limits, regardless of county, can only be reported to the Kansas City, MO Health Department.

Inspection Results

Food establishment inspections are public record and may be viewed by the public. Inspections are available online or by viewing the office file at the Clay County Public Health Center. If you have any questions, or need further information, please contact Environmental Health Protection at 816-595-4350.


Current Food Recalls

To assure that recalled food products are not being offered for sale in Clay County, the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS) notifies Environmental Health Protection when products are recalled. Usually, these recall notices are the result of reports of illness or potential illness associated with a food product. Food establishments are notified so that food items may be removed from commerce.

Food Program Newsletters 

Food Safety Excellence Award Winners