The Clay County Missouri Food Code requires any person who engages in food preparation, handling, dispensing or service to the public to possess a valid food handler card or food manager certificate. Food handlers must obtain a certificate no later than 30 days from the time they are hired by a food establishment. Food handler cards are valid for three years.
Clay County accepts valid food handler certifications from other local health departments in the Kansas City metro area. These include Cass County, City of Independence, Jackson County, City of KCMO, and Platte County.
Step 1: Take a class.
You can take a Food Handler class at Clay County Public Health Center OR online.
- Jan. - April 2023 Food Handler/Manager Class Schedule
- May - August 2023 Food Handler Class Schedule
- You will get your food handler card at the end of the class and then you’ll be ready to go!
- Online at StateFoodSafety.com
Step 2: Get your food handler card
If you take the training online, you will need to come into the Clay County Public Health Center building to get your official photo ID card.
*Important* The certificate of course completion from StateFoodSafety.com is only valid for 30 days. Make sure to come to CCPHC within 30 days of taking the online course.
- Bring your certificate to 800 Haines Drive, Liberty, MO 64068. The hours for getting a food handler card printed are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. By appointment only on Wednesdays.
- Once in the building, go through the first door on your left. Ring the doorbell next to the next door. Someone will be there to assist you shortly.
- You will be required to take and pass a short post-test to get your food handler card. This test is only eight questions long. It is also available in Spanish, Vietnamese, and Chinese (Mandarin).
- Pose for a quick photo and your card will immediately be printed.
Step 3: Keep your food handler card with you.
When environmental health specialists come into food establishments to do inspections, employees are asked to show their food handler or manager card or a copy of the card.